Bogra is one of the oldest towns in Northern Bangladesh. This is located in Bogra district under Rajshahi division. Once it was a town of British India and division of Eastern Bengal and Assam. Sometimes it is described as the nerve center of Northern Bangladesh- archaeological site, history, bogura, paharpur tour and Mahastanagar.Archaeological Site- Ancient history Ramparts of Mahastanagarth citadel few miles away from Bogra town. The history says it was the oldest city of Bengal in the great emperor period Ashoka’s India. He conquered the Bengal and founded this city naming Pundra Bardan. An ancient engraved stone was discovered from the bank of a pond and believed to be Gupta era.
Major tourists attractions are Mahastanagarth, nawab Bari Museum, amusement park and Akbori restaurant. This city has a strong culture affinity to Baul, Marfoti and Sufi music.
Mahastanagarth is the earliest urban archaeological site so far discovered in Bangladesh is located in Bogra. The village in Shibganj thana contains the remains of ancient city is considered to be sacred by Buddhists and other religions alike. Another tourists attraction is the Gokul Medth which excavated mound in the village of Gokul. Excavation in 1934 to 1936 by NG Mojumdar revealed a gigantic shrine or Sputa plinth built in the terraced cellular style construction. There is a home of piper that is near Mahastanagarth having much popularity with its incident to tourists. Nawab palace was used during British period and Jaina temple is one of the most archaeological sites.
A small village Paharpur which is five kilometers in the west of Zamalganj in Rajshahi district where are the remains of the most important and largest monastery and have been excavated in Bangladesh. This archaeological covers approximately an area of twenty seven acres of land. The entire establishment is occupying a quadrangular court which measures more than nine hundred feet externally on each side which has high enclosure walls about sixteen feet in thickness, from twelve feet to fifteen feet height. With elaborate gateway complex on the north, there are forty five cells on the north and forty four in each of the other three sides of a total number of one hundred seventy seven rooms. Those of south east Asia especially Myanmar and Jaba influenced profoundly the architectural of the pyramidal cruciform temple. A small site museum was built in 1956 to 1957 to house the representatives collection of the objects recovered from the area. Terracotta plaques, potteries, coins, inscriptions, ornamental bricks, images of different gods, goddesses and other minor clay objects in museum.
Mainamoti, with more than fifty ancients Buddhist settlements of the 8th to 12th century, is an isolated low dimpled ranges of hills dotted known as Mainamoti Lalmai Range consists of one hundred fifteen cells built around a spacious court yard with cruciform temple in the center facing its only gateway complex to the north resembling that of the Paharpur monastery. It is as Kotila Mura situated on a flatten hillock about five kilometers north of Salbhon Vihar inside the Comilla cantonment area where is picturesque Buddhist establishments. Here three stupas are seen side by side representing the Buddhist trinity as Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. Charpatra Mura is an isolated small oblong shrine situated about two and half kilometers north west of Kotila Mura Stupas. The only approaching to the tomb is from the east through a gateway which leads to a spacious hall. The Mainamati site Museum has a rich varied collection of copper plates, gold, silver coins and eighty six bronzes objects. Over one hundred fifty bronzes situated have been recovered plaques each measuring on average of nine feet high and eight to twelve feet wide.